Friday, May 3, 2013

The meaning of Hai


The Japanese word hai translates to the English word yes


However, it can have a number of other possible connotations.  In her article for The Japan Times, Amy Chavez points out that hai can have a number of other meanings, including being used as a polite term of acknowledgement.
 

I learned the hard way of another meaning...
 
My first trip to Japan was to train the regional engineers in a new technology and discuss with them the global implementation plan, then work with them to develop a regional plan and timeline.  I had spent months developing both the training materials and a general project plan and timeline. 
 
Before traveling to the Asia-Pacific region, I had presented the plan to the North American and Latin American regional engineers.  It seemed to be well received and during the conference we were able collectively to pull together a high-level implementation plan and timeline for these two regions.  At the end of the conference as we wrapped up, I asked "can we do this?" and received resounding "YES" from the attendees.
 
So with two regions successfully on board with the migration plan, I headed off to Tokyo where I would be meeting with 100+ regional network engineers.
I asked "can we do this?" and heard "Hai",
leading me to believe they were onboard.
The training seemed to go well.  I exchanged business cards with most engineers asking them to call if they had any questions or anything unforeseen came up.  I heard hai from many of them so I assumed they understood an would contact me should they have any issues.  We spent the first two days in presentations of the new technology and doing hands-on conversions. When asked if they got it, again the response was hai. which I interpreted as meaning they understood the technology.
 
Then we spent two days working in country teams, each team putting together a plan for their country.  I went between teams, working with them as they laid out their plans, encouraging them to prioritize the work and develop aggressive timelines.  Then we met on the last day together again as a large group and went over the timeline.  I asked "can we do this?" and heard "Hai" from many of those attending. This lead me to believe they were onboard with the project.
 
Six months later, there was no progress in the Asia-Pacific region.  A year later, as the other regions were nearing completion, the technology head of the Asia-Pacific region contacted the global head of technology engineering, questioning the need and reasons for expending the manpower on the conversion.
 
The project in Asia was a failure.

What went wrong?  Technically, nothing.  Socially, everything.
 
First, I had not scheduled to meet in advance of the conference with the region's technology director to go over the plan, the need for it, and how he could benefit most from it.  In short, since I had a global mandate, I assumed everyone would be fully onboard with the program.
 
Second, I managed to insult most of the engineers present when I first met them. 
In America, we typically exchange cards with one hand and place the received card in our pocket or deck of cards with a brief glance, to be sorted and entered into a contact database later. 

In Asia, the exchange of business cards takes on many aspects of a ritual.  The card is presented two handed with the writing towards the recipient.  The recipient takes the card and comments about something on it - title, location, company, etc.  Then the recipient will reciprocate, presenting their card.



It was several years before my next opportunity to work with colleagues from Japan.  On that next trip, I arranged to have breakfast with the regional manager right after arriving in Tokyo.  We exchanged cards, talked about our families, and he asked if I played golf.  When I acknowledged I did, he said to stop by his office before going into the meetings. 

I stopped by and stuck my head in.  He motioned me to close the door and sit.  First, he told me that he had rescheduled the first meeting, set for that morning (actually scheduled to start in a few minutes) until the afternoon.  He then began going through the information, including my presentations.  At the end, he asked me how I saw this benefiting the region in general and his engineers specifically.

All told, we spent over two hours together in that meeting.  At the end, he asked me to see his administrative assistant to have them extend my hotel stay and reschedule my flight.  As I did that, the admin asked me what my shoe size was and confirmed I was right handed. I asked why and over a shocked look I found out that Thursday (the day I was originally leaving) I would be playing golf with Mr. Tamuri and two others.  I was also asked to stop back by 10 minutes before the meeting, now scheduled for 1 pm.

At 12:50 I was at Mr. Tamuri's door.  He stood up and walked me to the conference center.  On the way, he asked me to wait outside the door for a moment until he called for me.  Then he proceeded to open the meeting and present the opening slides that explained what we were going to do and why.  Finally, he introduced me, informing the people attending that I had been sent at his request to aid the regional engineers in this project.  During the next three days we went over the plan and built a schedule. 

And not once was the word Hai spoken.

The engineers in Asia must have worked long hours and many weekends, because this project finished 7 weeks ahead of schedule,  and 3 weeks ahead of any other region.

So what does hai mean to me now?

Hai means I acknowledge you have spoken - nothing more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
"delivering the BIG PICTURE through managing the little details"
 
When you sit in a boardroom with Tim Foley, it becomes clear that he is a key contributor and valued advisor within the IT Security environment.  And, what may not be as readily apparent is a more personal side that compliments and adds depth to his management style.  Often using humor and real-life examples to illustrate a point, Tim brings an air of levity to an often dry and complex technical discussion.  Recently, when explaining the mortgage crisis of 2007 to a neighbor, he likened it to buying strawberries at Costco and created an entire scenario surrounding the process.  Afterwards, the neighbor remarked that although he had been trying to understand the mortgage crisis situation for some time, he had never truly understood it clearly until this discussion.  Being an avid reader, Tim brings a wealth of general knowledge into his discussions, making him an engaging conversationalist.